IslamicTeachings.org

Sunnats Of Sleeping

ummtaalib

Question:

Is there any authenticity with the concept that it is Sunnah to sleep with your face facing towards Qiblah and that one should keep comb, water bottle, prayer rug, siwak, and kohl near a pillow before we go for sleep. And that one should change to a night suit before going to bed.

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

There are three issues to your query. They are as follows:

1. Is it Sunnah to sleep while facing Qiblah?
  2. Should one change to a night suit before retiring to bed?
  3. Is it a Sunnah to keep a comb, water bottle, prayer rug, Siwāk, and Kuhl near a pillow before sleeping?

Each one is answered below in its respective order:

1. It is a Sunnah of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam to face Qiblah while sleeping. Consider the following Hadīth:

كَانَ فِرَاشُ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ نَحْوًا مِمَّا يُوضَعُ الْإِنْسَانُ فِي قَبْرِهِ وَكَانَ الْمَسْجِدُ عِنْدَ رَأْسِهِ (سنن أبي داود، بَابُ كَيْفَ يَتَوَجَّهُ)

The bed of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam was positioned similar to a man placed in a grave and the Masjid was towards his head. (Sunan Abi Dāwūd)

In Badhl al-Majhūd, a commentary on Sunan Abī Dāwūd, Hadhrat Molānā Khalīl Ahmad Sahāranpūri Rahimahullāh quotes Hadhrat Molānā Yahyā Rahimahullāh saying that this Hadīth explains that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam used to face the Qiblah while sleeping.[1] If Rasūllullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam used to sleep towards the right side and his head was in the direction of the Masjid, then undoubtedly he was facing Qiblah as well.

The first part of the Hadīth also gives a similar meaning. The deceased is positioned in the grave facing the right side towards the Qiblah.[2]

1. Changing ones clothes prior to sleeping is also a Sunnah of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam. Consider the following Hadīth[3]:

عَنْ عَبْدِ اللهِ بْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، قَالَ: ” تَضَيَّفْتُ مَيْمُونَةَ زَوْجَ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، وَهِيَ خَالَتِي وَهِيَ لَيْلَةَ إِذْ لَا تُصَلِّي، فَأَخَذَتْ كِسَاءً فَثَنَتْهُ، وَأَلْقَتْ عَلَيْهِ نُمْرُقَةً، ثُمَّ رَمَتْ عَلَيْهِ بِكِسَاءٍ آخَرَ، ثُمَّ دَخَلَتْ فِيهِ، وَبَسَطَتْ لِي بِسَاطًا إِلَى جَنْبِهَا، وَتَوَسَّدْتُ مَعَهَا عَلَى وِسَادِهَا، ” فَجَاءَ النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، وَقَدْ صَلَّى الْعِشَاءَ الْآخِرَةَ، فَأَخَذَ خِرْقَةً فَتَوَزَّرَ بِهَا، وَأَلْقَى ثَوْبَهُ، وَدَخَلَ مَعَهَا لِحَافَهَا (مسند أحمد، ج 4، ص 347، مؤسسة الرسالة)

Ibn Abās Radhiyallāhu Anhu says, “I was a guest at Maimūnah Radhiyallāhu Anhā’s house, who was a wife of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam and also my aunt. That night she was in a state wherein she did not have to perform Salāh. She took a sheet and doubled it up. She then placed a cushion on top of it. Then she put another sheet on top of the cushion and she went inside. Then she spread a bedding for me next to her. I shared her pillow with her. Then Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam entered after performing Ishā Salāh. He took a cloth and covered himself with it and took off the clothes he was previously wearing. He then entered with Maimūnah Radhiyallāh Anhā in the sheet. (Musnad Ahmad)

1. In Sunan Abu Dāwūd, there is a narration in which it is stated that a Siwāk and water for Wudhu used to be kept for Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam at night time. When he would awaken for Tahajjud, he used to brush his teeth with the Miswāk and perform Wudhu. This Hadīth indicates that the Siwāk and water bottle were kept in close proximity to Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam prior to sleeping. The Hadīth is as follows:

عَنْ عَائِشَةَ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ كَانَ يُوضَعُ لَهُ وَضُوءُهُ وَسِوَاكُهُ، فَإِذَا قَامَ مِنَ اللَّيْلِ تَخَلَّى ثُمَّ اسْتَاكَ(سنن أبى داؤد، باب السواك لمن قام باالليل)

Aishah Radhiyallāhu Anhā reports that the Wudhu water and Siwāk was prepared for Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam at night. When he used to awaken at night, he used to relieve himself and thereafter he would use the Siwāk. (Sunan Abi Dāwūd)

Regarding the blessed comb of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam, it is reported that Aishah Radhiyallāhu Anhā used to comb the hair of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam even while she was menstruating. Another Hadīth states that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam would often comb his beard in order to keep it neat. These Ahādīth indicate that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam had a comb and kept it in close proximity to himself. The Ahādīth are as follows:

عن عائشة قالت:كنت أرجّل رأس رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وأنا حائض (الشمائل المحمدية للترمذى، باب ما جاء في ترجل رسول الله صل الله عليه وسلم)

Aishah Radhiyallāhu Anhā says, “I used to comb the hair of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam even when I was in the state of menstration. (al-Shamāil al-Muhammadiyyah)

عن أنس بن مالك قال:«كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يكثر دهن رأسه وتسريح لحيته (الشمائل المحمدية للترمذى، باب ما جاء في ترجل رسول الله صل الله عليه وسلم)

Anas bin Mālik Radhiyallāhu Anha says, “Rasūllullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam used to oil his hair and comb his beard often. (al-Shamāil al-Muhammadiyyah)

In relation to the blessed Kohl container of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam, it is reported that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam used to have a Kohl container from which he used to apply Kohl to his eyes every night. This Hadīth indicates that the Kohl container was in close proximity to Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam at night time. The Hadīth is as follows:

عن ابن عباس: إن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كانت له مكحلة يكتحل منها عند النوم ثلاثا في كلّ عين (الشمائل المحمدية للترمذى، باب ما جاء في كحل رسول الله صل الله عليه وسلم)

Ibn Abās Radhiyallāhu Anhu reports that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam had a Kohl container and Rasūllullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam would apply Kohl from it at night time thrice in each eye. (al-Shamāil al-Muhammadiyyah)

As regards the blessed prayer rug of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam, it is reported that he used to pray on a Khumrah, a small prayer mat made from palm leaves.[4] This Hadīth is narrated by Maimūnah Radhiyallāhu Anhā, the wife of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam. In this Hadīth there is an indication that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam had a prayer mat very close to himself at night in order to perform Tahajjud Salāh on it. The Hadīth is as follows:

مَيْمُونَةُ بِنْتُ الْحَارِثِ، قَالَتْ: كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ «يُصَلِّي وَأَنَا حِذَاءَهُ وَأَنَا حَائِضٌ وَرُبَّمَا أَصَابَنِي ثَوْبُهُ إِذَا سَجَدَ وَكَانَ يُصَلِّي عَلَى الْخُمْرَةِ (سنن أبى داؤد، باب الصلاة على الخمرة)

Maimūnah Radhiyallāhu Anhā says, “Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam used to perform Salāh while I was next to him and in a state of menstruation. At times, his garment would touch me while making Sajdah. He used to perform Salāh on a Khumrah (small mat made of palm leaves). (Sunan Abu Dāwūd)

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Idealwoman.org

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bedtime Recitation

When going to sleep it is recommended to recite Ayat al-Kursi, Surat al-Ikhlas, Surat al-Falaq, Surat al-Nas, and the last two verse of al-Baqara. This is something to give particular attention to and is emphasized to heed, since rigorously authenticated Ahadith concerning this have been established.

Abu Masud al-Badri, may Allah be pleased with him, relates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "The two verses at the end of al-Baqara are sufficient [in blessings and protection] for anyone who reads them in one night." [bukhari]

Ali ibn Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him, said, "I have not seen any rational person who has entered Islam sleep until he had recited Ayat al-Kursi (Quran, 2:255). [Darimi]

Uqba ibn Amir, may Allah be pleased with him, said, "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said to me, 'Do not let a night pass you unless you recite therein al-Ikhlas, al-Falaq, and al-Nas.' Thereafter, not a night passed me unless I recited them." [Ahmad]

Compiled From: "Etiquette with the Quran" - Imam al-Nawawi

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians
223 Alpine Road, Overport, Durban

• 11 months later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 1

sweet-dreams2.jpg 

1. It is sunnah for one to sleep in the state of Wudhu.

عن معاذ بن جبل رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ما من عبد بات على طهور ثم تعار من الليل فسأل الله شيئا من أمر الدنيا أو من أمر الآخرة إلا أعطاه (ابن ماجة رقم 3881)

Hadhrat Muaadh bin Jabal (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The one who sleeps in the state of wudhu, and thereafter wakes up during the night (or turns from one side to the other), and asks Allah Ta’ala for anything of this world or the Hereafter, Allah Ta’ala will surely grant it to him.

2. One should dust the bed before sleeping.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: إذا أوى أحدكم إلى فراشه فلينفض فراشه بداخلة إزاره ، فإنه لا يدري ما خلفه عليه (البخاري رقم 6320)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When any one of you retires to bed, then he should dust the bed with the inner-part of the tail of his lungi. The reason being is that one is unaware of what could have entered his bed in his absence.

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 2

1. One should cleanse one’s mouth by making miswaak before sleeping.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم لا ينام ليلة ولا ينتبه إلا استن . رواه الطبراني في الأوسط وفيه من لم أجد ذكره وقد رواه أحمد من فعل أبي هريرة وفيه محمد بن عمرو وهو ضعيف مختلف فيه (مجمع الزوائد رقم 2568)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) retired to bed at night or awoke, he would use the miswaak.

2. One should apply surmah on the eyes before sleeping.

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال اكتحلوا بالإثمد فإنه يجلو البصر وينبت الشعر وزعم أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كانت له مكحلة يكتحل بها كل ليلة ثلاثة في هذه وثلاثة في هذه. (ترمذي رقم 1757)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Apply surmah by using ithmid (a type of surmah), for certainly it cleans the eyes and causes the hair (eyelashes) to grow.” Hadhrat Abdullah bin Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) further says that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) kept a container of surmah from which he used to apply surmah every night. He would apply the surmah thrice in the right eye and thrice in the left eye. 

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 3

1. One should not while away one’s time after the Esha salaah in vain talk. Instead one should try to sleep as early as possible so that one can wake up for tahajjud salaah and perform his Fajr salaah on time. However, if there is a valid need e.g. participating in a deeni program, discussing Deeni masaail, an important mashwara etc, then it will be permissible for one to engage in discussions after Esha.

عن أبي برزة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يكره النوم قبل العشاء والحديث بعدها (البخاري رقم 568)

Hadhrat Abu Barzah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) disliked one to sleep before Esha, and to engage in discussions after Esha (in the case where there is no need).

عن عمر بن الخطاب قال : كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم يسمر مع أبي بكر في الأمر من أمر المسلمين وأنا معهما (ترمذي رقم 169)

Hadhrat Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) engaged in discussions after Esha with Hadhrat  Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu) regarding a matter concerning the Muslims while I was also present.

عن عائشة زوج النبي قالت : ما رأيت رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم نائما قبل العشاء ولا لاغيا بعدها إما ذاكرا فيغنم وإما نائما فيسلم قالت عائشة زوج النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم . قالت : السمر لثلاثة : لعروس أو مسافر أو متهجد بالليل (مجمع الزوائد رقم 1761)

Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) reports that she had never seen Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) sleep before Esha, nor did she see him engage in vain discussions after Esha. He would either engage in the remembrance of Allah Ta’ala after Esha thereby reaping the rewards of the Hereafter and becoming successful, or he would go to sleep thereby saving himself (from being engaged in things of no benefit). Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) further says: “Engaging in talks after Esha is permissible for three groups of people; for a married couple, the traveler (in order that he remains awake to complete the journey) and the one who intends performing salaah during the night.”

2. Recite the masnoon du`aas before sleeping. Below are a few masnoon duaas that should be read at the time one retires to bed:

اللَّهُمَّ بِاسْمِكَ أَمُوتُ وَ أَحْيَى

O Allah. With Your name do I die and live.

اللَّهُمَّ قِنِى عَذَابَكَ يَوْمَ تَبْعَثُ عِبَادَكَ

O Allah. Save me from Your punishment on the day when You shall raise Your servants (from the grave)

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا وَكَفَانَا وَآوَانَا فَكَمْ مِمَّنْ لَا كَافِيَ لَهُ وَلَا مُؤْوِيَ

All praises are due to Allah Ta’ala, who gave us food, drink, fulfilled our needs and gave us shelter. There are many who do not have anyone to support them, nor anyone to provide them with shelter.

عن حذيفة رضي الله عنه قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا أخذ مضجعه من الليل وضع يده تحت خده ثم يقول اللهم باسمك أموت وأحيا وإذا استيقظ قال الحمد لله الذي أحيانا بعد ما أماتنا وإليه النشور. (بخارى رقم 6314 )

Hadrat Huzaifa (Radiallahu anhu) reports that when retiring to bed at night, Rasulullah (Salallahu alaihi wasallam) would place his (right) hand under his (right) cheek and would recite the duaa  اللهم باسمك اموت و احيى , and upon awakening would recite

الحمد لله الذى احيانا بعد ما اماتنا واليه النشور

عن حفصة رضي الله عنها زوج النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أراد أن يرقد وضع يده اليمنى تحت خده ثم يقول اللهم قنى عذابك يوم تبعث عبادك  ثلاث مرار. (ابو داود رقم 5047)

Hadrat Hafsa (Radiallahu anha) reports that when Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) intended to sleep, he would place his right hand under his cheek and recite the following duaa thrice:

عن أنس رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أوى إلى فراشه قال: الحمد لله الذي أطعمنا وسقانا وكفانا وآوانا فكم ممن لا كافي له ولا مؤوي. (مسلم رقم 2715)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa when retiring to bed:

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا وَكَفَانَا وَآوَانَا فَكَمْ مِمَّنْ لَا كَافِيَ لَهُ وَلَا مُؤْوِي

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 4

1. One should recite the following before retiring to bed:

a)  Tasbeeh-e-Faatimi i.e. 33 times Subhaanallah, 33 times Alhamdulillah, and 34 times Allahu Akbar.

عن علي رضي الله عنه أن فاطمة رضي الله عنها أتت النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم تشكو إليه ما تلقى في يدها من الرحى وبلغها أنه جاءه رقيق فلم تصادفه فذكرت ذلك لعائشة فلما جاء أخبرته عائشة قال فجاءنا وقد أخذنا مضاجعنا فذهبنا نقوم فقال على مكانكما فجاء فقعد بيني وبينها حتى وجدت برد قدميه على بطني فقال ألا أدلكما على خير مما سألتما إذا أخذتما مضاجعكما أو أويتما إلى فراشكما فسبحا ثلاثا وثلاثين واحمدا ثلاثا وثلاثين وكبرا أربعا وثلاثين فهو خير لكما من خادم. و في رواية: قال علي : فما تركته منذ سمعته من رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قيل له : ولا ليلة صفين ؟ قال : ولا ليلة صفين. (البخاري رقم 5361)

Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion Hadhrat Faatimah (Radhiallahu Anha) went to the house of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) to complain about the difficulty she was experiencing while using the handmill. The news reached her that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had received some slaves (so she had thought that she would request Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) for a slave to assist her in her daily chores). However, (upon reaching the home) she did not find Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) present, hence she informed Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) of her reason for coming. When Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) reached home, Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) informed him regarding the request of Hadhrat Faatima (Radhiallahu Anha). Subsequently, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then came to our home at the time we were retiring to bed. (Upon seeing him) we intended to wake up (out of respect for him), but Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) told us to remain as we were. He then came and sat between us until I could feel the coolness of his feet on my stomach (i.e. due to being seated so close to us in between, his mubaarak feet touched the side of my body). He then said: “Should I not show you something better than what you had requested (i.e. better than me giving you a slave to assist you in your daily chores)? Before retiring to bed, then recite Subhaanallah 33 times, Alhamdulillah 33 times and Allahu Akbar 34 times, for certainly this is better for you (in assisting you in your daily chores) than acquiring a slave. (According to another narration) Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu) further said: “I did not leave out this practice from the time I heard it from Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).” Someone present asked: “Not even on the night of Siffeen (i.e. the night of the battle of Siffeen)?” He replied: “Not even on the night of Siffeen.”    

b) Aayatul Kursi

عن أبي أمامة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم من قرأ آية الكرسي دبر كل صلاة لم يمنعه من دخول الجنة إلا أن يموت  رواه النسائي والطبراني بأسانيد أحدها صحيح  وقال شيخنا أبو الحسن هو على شرط البخاري وابن حبان في كتاب الصلاة وصححه (الترغيب رقم 2468)  و في رواية ضعيفة عن علي رضي الله عنه قال : سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم على أعواد المنبر يقول : من قرأ آية الكرسي في دبر كل صلاة لم يمنعه من دخول الجنة إلا الموت ومن قرأها حين يأخذ مضجعه آمنه الله على داره ودار جاره وأهل دويرات حوله. )رواه البيهقي في شعب الإيمان رقم 2395)

Hadhrat Abu Umaamah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever recites Aayatul Kursi after every Fardh salaah, nothing prevents him from entering Paradise except death. (In another Hadith reported by Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallahu Anhu)) The one who recites Aayatul kursi at night when retiring to bed, Allah Ta’ala will protect his home, the homes of his neighbours, and the homes of the people around him. 

c) The three Quls

عن عائشة: " أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أوى إلى فراشه كل ليلة جمع كفيه، ثم نفث فيهما فقرأ فيهما: قل هو الله أحد وقل أعوذ برب الفلق وقل أعوذ برب الناس، ثم يمسح بهما ما استطاع من جسده، يبدأ بهما على رأسه ووجهه وما أقبل من جسده يفعل ذلك ثلاث مرات (بخاري رقم 5017)

Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiallahu Anha) reports that whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would retire to bed every night, he would recite Surah Ikhlaas, Surah Falaq and Surah Naas and thereafter blow on his both palms. Subsequently, he would rub his palms upon his entire body. He would commence rubbing his palms on his head, face and the front portion of his body. He would repeat this action three times. 

d) The last two verses of Surah Baqarah.

عن أبي مسعود الأنصاري البدري عقبة بن عمرو رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: الآيتان من آخر سورة البقرة ، من قرأ بهما في ليلة كفتاه. (بخاري رقم 5040)

Hadhrat Abu Mas’ood Ansaari (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The last two verses of Surah Baqarah are such that whoever recites them at night, it will suffice him (some say that it will suffice him from the harm and evil of everything, others say it will suffice him from reciting anything else during the night or from waking up for tahajjud).

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 5

1. One should sleep on the right side with placing the right hand under the right cheek.

عن حفصة رضي الله عنها زوج النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أراد أن يرقد وضع يده اليمنى تحت خده ثم يقول  اللهم قنى عذابك يوم تبعث عبادك ثلاث مرار. (ابو داود رقم 5047)

Hadrat Hafsa (Radiallahu anha) reports that when Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) intended to sleep, he would place his right hand under his cheek and recite the following duaa thrice:

2. One should not sleep on one’s stomach.

وعن يعيش بن طخفة الغفاري رضي الله عنهما قال فبينما أنا مضطجع فى المسجد من السحر على بطنى إذا رجل يحركنى برجله فقال إن هذه ضجعة يبغضها الله. قال فنظرت فإذا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم. (ابو داود رقم 5042)

Hadhrat Ya’eesh Ghifaari (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports: “On one occasion I was sleeping on my stomach in the Musjid due to stomach pains. Suddenly a man came and shook me with his leg saying: “Sleeping in this position (i.e. on the stomach) is disliked by Allah Ta’ala.” (I turned to see who was addressing me), then I saw that it was Hadhrat Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam).”

• Like 1

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 6

1. One should not sleep naked, instead one should sleep wearing such clothing that conceals one’s satr.

عن بهز بن حكيم حدثني أبي عن جدي قال : قلت يا رسول الله عوراتنا ما نأتي منها و ما نذر قال : احفظ عورتك إلا من زوجتك و ما ملكت يمينك قلت : يا رسول الله إذا كان القوم بعضهم في بعض قال : إن استطعت أن لا يرينها أحد فلا يرينها قال : قلت يا رسول الله إذا كان أحدنا خاليا ؟ قال : فالله أحق أن يستحى منه من الناس (ابو داود رقم 4019)

Hadhrat Bahz bin Hakeem relates from his father, who relates from his grandfather, that he asked Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), inform us regarding the masaail relating to our satr. In which cases we are allowed to expose our satr and in which cases we have to conceal it?”  Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Safeguard your satr, except before your wife and your slave-girl.” I then asked: “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), what about in the situation when many people are living together (e.g.in the case where people are living together in a small room and one would need to change one’s clothes etc.)?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied: “Ensure that no one ever sees your satr.” I then asked: “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), what about the situation when one is in seclusion (i.e. can his satr be exposed e.g. while changing)?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied: “Allah Ta’ala is more worthy that hayaa and modesty be shown before Him than the modesty one exercises before people. ” (i.e. One should have the presence of Allah Ta’ala all the time in one’s heart and mind and thus feel more ashamed to expose his satr before Allah Ta’ala (even in seclusion), than the shame one has for people).

عن أنس بن مالك رضي الله عنه قال كان أبو موسى الأشعري رضي الله عنه إذا نام لبس ثيابا عند النوم مخافة أن تنكشف عورته (الطبقات الكبرى)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Hadhrat Abu Moosa Ash’ari (Radhiallahu Anhu) used to cover his body (properly) at the time of sleeping to ensure that his private parts do not become exposed. 

2. One should sleep early with the intention of waking up for Tahajjud.

عن أبي الدرداء يبلغ به النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال من أتى فراشه وهو ينوي أن يقوم يصلي من الليل فغلبته عيناه حتى أصبح كتب له ما نوى وكان نومه صدقة عليه من ربه  رواه النسائي وابن ماجه بإسناد جيد ورواه ابن حبان في صحيحه من حديث أبي ذر أو أبي الدرداء على الشك (الترغيب و الترهيب 1/69)

Hadhrat Abu Dardaa (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever goes to sleep at night with the intention of standing up to perform tahajjud salaah, and his eyes overpower him till the time of Fajr, he will receive the reward of tahajjud based on his intention and his sleep will be regarded as a sadaqah (blessing) he received from His Rabb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 7

1. Do not sleep unnecessarily after Maghrib.

عن أبي برزة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يكره النوم قبل العشاء والحديث بعدها (البخاري رقم 568)

Hadhrat Abu Barzah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) disliked one to sleep before Esha (i.e. after Maghrib), and to engage in discussions after Esha (in the case where there is no need).

2. Do not sleep in areas which people use as a walkway as you would cause inconvenience to them and this may become a means of injury being caused to oneself.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا سافرتم في الخصب فأعطوا الإبل حظها من الأرض وإذا سافرتم في السنة فأسرعوا عليها السير وإذا عرستم بالليل فاجتنبوا الطريق فإنها مأوى الهوام بالليل (و في رواية وإذا عرستم فاجتنبوا الطريق فإنها طرق الدواب ومأوى الهوام بالليل) (مسلم رقم 1926)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When travelling through green pastures, then give the animal its due right (through stopping at different places in order to allow the animal to graze). When travelling through dry land at the time of drought, then complete the journey quickly (i.e. do not delay your journey by stopping at different places so it does not become difficult upon the animal). During the journey, if you have to stop over to spend the night at a certain place, then ensure that you do not camp in the middle of the road as the road is the right of the animals (of the travellers travelling on the road), and the residing place of insects and poisonous creatures at night (which can cause you harm).

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 8

1. Upon awakening, one should recite the masnoon du`aa:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا أَمَاتَنَا وَإِلَيْهِ النُّشُورُ

“All praise is due to Allah Ta’ala who granted us life after death and to Him is our return.”

عن حذيفة رضي الله عنه قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا أخذ مضجعه من الليل وضع يده تحت خده ثم يقول اللهم باسمك أموت وأحيا وإذا استيقظ قال الحمد لله الذي أحيانا بعد ما أماتنا وإليه النشور. (بخارى رقم 6314 )

Hadrat Huzaifa (Radiallahu anhu) reports that when retiring to bed at night, Rasulullah (Salallahu alaihi wasallam) would place his (right) hand under his (right) cheek and would recite the duaa  اللهم باسمك اموت و احيى , and upon awakening would recite الحمد لله الذى احيانا بعد ما اماتنا واليه النشور

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 9

1. At the time one wakes up for Tahajjud, one should recite the following:

1)

اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَنْتَ قَيِّمُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَنْ فِيهِنَّ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ لَكَ مُلْكُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَنْ فِيهِنَّ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ اَنْتَ نُورُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَن فِيهِنَّ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَنْتَ الْحَقُّ وَوَعْدُكَ الْحَقُّ وَلِقَاؤُكَ حَقٌّ وَقَوْلُكَ حَقٌّ وَالْجَنَّةُ حَقٌّ وَالنَّارُ حَقٌّ وَالنَّبِيُّونَ حَقٌّ وَمُحَمَّدٌ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ حَقٌّ وَالسَّاعَةُ حَقٌّ اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ أَسْلَمْتُ وَبِكَ آمَنْتُ وَعَلَيْكَ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَإِلَيْكَ أَنَبْتُ وَبِكَ خَاصَمْتُ وَإِلَيْكَ حَاكَمْتُ فَاغْفِرْ لِي مَا قَدَّمْتُ وَمَا أَخَّرْتُ وَمَا أَسْرَرْتُ وَمَا أَعْلَنْتُ أَنْتَ الْمُقَدِّمُ وَأَنْتَ الْمُؤَخِّرُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ

O Allah, all praise belongs to You and You are the sustainer of the heavens and the Earth and whatever is contained within them. All praise belongs to You and to You belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the Earth and whatever is contained within them. All praise belongs to You and You are the noor (i.e. light) of the heavens and the Earth and whatever is contained within them. You are Haqq, Your promises are true and Your meeting is true. Your speech is true, Paradise is true and Hell is true. The messengers are true and Hadhrat Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is true. The last hour is true. O Allah, I have surrendered to You alone. I have Imaan upon You alone. I have placed my trust and reliance upon You alone. It is only towards You that I turn. It is only on account of You (i.e. with Your help) do I dispute (with the kuffaar in proving the truth). It is only towards You do I turn for judgement. Thus forgive my sins, my past sins and my future sins, those sins done in secret and those sins committed openly. You are the first and You are the last. There is none worthy of worship besides You, and there is no power (to do good) nor any ability (to abstain from evil) except with the help of Allah Ta’ala.

2) The last ten verses of Surah Aal-e-Imraan (i.e. starting from the verse:

إِنَّ فِي خَلْقِ السَّموتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ لَآيتٍ لِأُولِي الْأَلْبَابِ

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا قام من الليل يتهجد قال: اللهم لك الحمد أنت قيم السموات والأرض ومن فيهن، ولك الحمد لك ملك السموات والأرض ومن فيهن ولك الحمد أنت نور السموات والأرض ومن فيهن ولك الحمد أنت ملك السموات والأرض ولك الحمد أنت الحق ووعدك الحق ولقاؤك حق وقولك حق والجنة حق والنار حق والنبيون حق ومحمد صلى الله عليه وسلم حق والساعة حق اللهم لك أسلمت وبك آمنت وعليك توكلت وإليك أنبت وبك خاصمت وإليك حاكمت فاغفر لي ما قدمت وما أخرت وما أسررت وما أعلنت أنت المقدم وأنت المؤخر لا إله إلا أنت ( أو: لا إله غيرك) قال سفيان: وزاد عبد الكريم أبو أمية "ولا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله" (بخاري رقم 1120)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that when Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would stand up to perform tahajjud at night, he would recite the following duaa:

اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَنْتَ قَيِّمُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَنْ فِيهِنَّ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ لَكَ مُلْكُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَنْ فِيهِنَّ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ اَنْتَ نُورُ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَنْتَ الْحَقُّ وَوَعْدُكَ الْحَقُّ وَلِقَاؤُكَ حَقٌّ وَقَوْلُكَ حَقٌّ وَالْجَنَّةُ حَقٌّ وَالنَّارُ حَقٌّ وَالنَّبِيُّونَ حَقٌّ وَمُحَمَّدٌ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ حَقٌّ وَالسَّاعَةُ حَقٌّ اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ أَسْلَمْتُ وَبِكَ آمَنْتُ وَعَلَيْكَ تَوَكَّلْتُ وَإِلَيْكَ أَنَبْتُ وَبِكَ خَاصَمْتُ وَإِلَيْكَ حَاكَمْتُ فَاغْفِرْ لِي مَا قَدَّمْتُ وَمَا أَخَّرْتُ وَمَا أَسْرَرْتُ وَمَا أَعْلَنْتُ أَنْتَ الْمُقَدِّمُ وَأَنْتَ الْمُؤَخِّرُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما أنه رقد عند النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم فرآه استيقظ فتسوك وتوضأ وهو يقول إن فى خلق السموات والأرض حتى ختم السورة  (ابو داود رقم 1355)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that on one occasion he spent the night by Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). He saw that when he woke up at night (to perform tahajjud), he would use the miswaak and perform wudhu, and he would recite the following Aayat (of Surah Aal-e-Imraan) till the end of the surah:

إِنَّ فِي خَلْقِ السَّموتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ لَآيتٍ لِأُولِي الْأَلْبَابِ

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 10

1. If one experiences a good dream, then reciteAlhamdulillah and one may relate the dream to someone who is knowledgeable in the field of interpretation of dreams or to someone who is his well-wisher.

عن أبي سعيد الخدري رضي الله عنه أنه سمع النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول إذا رأى أحدكم رؤيا يحبها فإنما هي من الله فليحمد الله عليها وليحدث بها وإذا رأى غير ذلك مما يكره فإنما هي من الشيطان فليستعذ من شرها ولا يذكرها لأحد فإنها لا تضره (بخارى رقم 6985 )

Hadhrat Abu Saeed Khudri (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “If anyone of you sees a good dream that pleases him, then one should regard such a dream to be from the side of Allah Ta’ala, therefore he should praise Allah Ta’ala and he may mention it (to someone who is knowledgeable in the science of dreams or to someone who is his well-wisher). However, if he sees a bad dream, then one should regard such a dream to be from the side of Shaytaan, and he should seek the protection of Allah Ta’ala from its evil and he should not mention such a dream to anyone, the evil of such a dream will not cause him any harm.

عن أبي رزين العقيلي قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم رؤيا جزء من أربعين جزءا من النبوة وهي على رجل طائر ما لم يتحدث بها فإذا تحدث بها سقطت قال واحسبه قال ولا يحدث بها إلا لبييا أو حبيبا (ترمذي رقم 2278)

Hadhrat Abu Razeen Al-Uqaili (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A (good) dream is a portion of forty portions of nubuwwat (i.e. it resembles nubuwwat in the aspect of receiving some glad tidings from the side of Allah Ta’ala), and it remains upon the leg of a bird as long as it is not spoken about. (i.e. at times, till the dream is not interpreted, it does not materialize, hence it is resembled to something suspended on the leg of a bird. Generally the leg of a bird is unstable and anything placed on it also remains unstable and can fall at anytime.) No sooner does one mentions it, it falls (i.e. the glad tidings contained in the dream materialize) . Abu Razeen then mentioned: “And I think that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) also mentioned that one who had seen a good dream should not mention the dream except to someone who is knowledgeable in the science of dreams or someone who is his well-wisher.

عن أبي هريرة قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم :لم يبق من النبوة إلا المبشرات  قالوا : وما المبشرات ؟ قال : الرؤيا الصالحة  . رواه البخاري وزاد مالك برواية عطاء بن يسار : يراها الرجل المسلم أو ترى له (مشكوة المصابيح رقم 4607)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Nothing will remain of nubuwwat (after it terminates) except glad tidings. The Sahaabah asked: “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), what does glad tidings refer to?” Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A pious dream which one is shown.” (I.e. after I leave this world, the series of wahy will terminate and people will not receive any command directly from Allah Ta’ala in the form of revelation. However through good dreams Allah Ta’ala will still guide His servants.) In the report of Imaam Maalik (Rahmatullahi Alaihi), this addition appears that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A pious dream that a believer will see regarding himself, or somebody else will see it regarding him (and thereafter inform him of it).”

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 11

1. a)  If one experiences a bad dream then one should spit on to the left side thrice, recite the following duaa thrice, and one should change one’s sleeping position

أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيطَانِ الرَّجِيم

عن جابر رضي الله عنه عن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه قال إذا رأى أحدكم الرؤيا يكرهها فليبصق عن يساره ثلاثا وليستعذ بالله من الشيطان ثلاثا وليتحول عن جنبه الذي كان عليه (مسلم رقم 2262)

Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When you see a bad dream, then spit on your left thrice, and thereafter seek protection of Allah Ta’ala thrice from Shaytaan, and one should change one’s sleeping position.

b) One should recite the following duaa:

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن غَضَبِهِ وَعِقَابِه وَشَرِّ عِبَادِهِ وَمِن همَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِين وَأَن يَحْضُرُون

I seek protection through the complete words of Allah Ta’ala from His anger, His punishment, the evil of His servants, the whispers of the Shayateen and of their evil presence. 

عن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جده أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: إذا فزع أحدكم في النوم فليقل: أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات من غضبه وعقابه وشر عباده ومن همزات الشياطين وأن يحضرون فإنها لن تضره (ترمذي رقم 3528)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When anyone of you experiences fear (due to bad dreams) while sleeping, then he should recite the following duaa:

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن غَضَبِهِ وَعِقَابِه وَشَرِّ عِبَادِهِ وَمِن همَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِين وَأَن يَحْضُرُون

2. One should take a siesta (Qayloolah) in the afternoon.

عن ابن عباس عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال: استعينوا بطعام السحر على صيام النهار وبالقيلولة على قيام الليل (ابن ماجة رقم 1693)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Take assistance upon fasting during the day by partaking of Sehri, and take assistance upon standing up during the night for Tahajjud by making qayloolah (siesta).

• 1 year later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Sleeping – Part 11

1. a)  If one experiences a bad dream then one should spit on to the left side thrice, recite the following duaa thrice, and one should change one’s sleeping position

عن جابر رضي الله عنه عن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه قال إذا رأى أحدكم الرؤيا يكرهها فليبصق عن يساره ثلاثا وليستعذ بالله من الشيطان ثلاثا وليتحول عن جنبه الذي كان عليه (مسلم رقم 2262)

Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When you see a bad dream, then spit on your left thrice, and thereafter seek protection of Allah Ta’ala thrice from Shaytaan, and one should change one’s sleeping position.

b) One should recite the following duaa:

I seek protection through the complete words of Allah Ta’ala from His anger, His punishment, the evil of His servants, the whispers of the Shayateen and of their evil presence. 

عن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جده أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: إذا فزع أحدكم في النوم فليقل: أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات من غضبه وعقابه وشر عباده ومن همزات الشياطين وأن يحضرون فإنها لن تضره (ترمذي رقم 3528)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When anyone of you experiences fear (due to bad dreams) while sleeping, then he should recite the following duaa:

2. One should take a siesta (Qayloolah) in the afternoon.

عن ابن عباس عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال: استعينوا بطعام السحر على صيام النهار وبالقيلولة على قيام الليل (ابن ماجة رقم 1693)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Take assistance upon fasting during the day by partaking of Sehri, and take assistance upon standing up during the night for Tahajjud by making qayloolah (siesta).

As salamu alaikum dear ablam

İ have question regarding what should we do when we see bad dream. In there it says that we should spit to the left side thrice and seek refuge in Allah from shaytan thrice and change the sleeping side. In part of seek refuge in Allah do we say the dua written below or we just say audzubillahi minashaitan nirrajim

Jazakillahu khayran

wa'alaykumus salaam warahamtaull dear AishaZaynap...been long time since we saw you so welcome back!

Regarding what to do when one has had a bad dream, according to what it says above, there are two different narrations mentioned. 

(From Muslim) 1a.  If one experiences a bad dream then one should spit on to the left side thrice, recite the following duaa thrice, and one should change one’s sleeping position

(From Tirmithee) 1b. Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When you see a bad dream, then spit on your left thrice, and thereafter seek protection of Allah Ta’ala thrice from Shaytaan, and one should change one’s sleeping position.

One should recite the following duaa:

• Like 1

wa'alaykumus salaam warahamtaull dear AishaZaynap...been long time since we saw you so welcome back!

Regarding what to do when one has had a bad dream, according to what it says above, there are two different narrations mentioned. 

(From Muslim) 1a.  If one experiences a bad dream then one should spit on to the left side thrice, recite the following duaa thrice, and one should change one’s sleeping position  أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيطَانِ الرَّجِيم

(From Tirmithee) 1b. Hadhrat Jaabir (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “When you see a bad dream, then spit on your left thrice, and thereafter seek protection of Allah Ta’ala thrice from Shaytaan, and one should change one’s sleeping position.

One should recite the following duaa:

Inshaallah that I can be active on forum like usual. Jazakillah dear ablam

• 4 years later...

Narrated Al-Bara' bin `Azib:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "O so-and-so, whenever you go to your bed (for sleeping) say, 'O Allah! I have surrendered myself over to you and have turned my face towards You, and leave all my affairs to You and depend on You and put my trust in You expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment. There is neither fleeing from You nor refuge but with You. I believe in the Book (Qur'an) which You have revealed and in Your Prophet (Muhammad) whom You have sent.' If you then die on that night, then you will die as a Muslim, and if you wake alive in the morning then you will receive the reward." Bukhari

"‏ يَا فُلاَنُ إِذَا أَوَيْتَ إِلَى فِرَاشِكَ فَقُلِ اللَّهُمَّ أَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِي إِلَيْكَ، وَوَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِي إِلَيْكَ وَفَوَّضْتُ أَمْرِي إِلَيْكَ، وَأَلْجَأْتُ ظَهْرِي إِلَيْكَ، رَغْبَةً وَرَهْبَةً إِلَيْكَ، لاَ مَلْجَأَ وَلاَ مَنْجَا مِنْكَ إِلاَّ إِلَيْكَ، آمَنْتُ بِكِتَابِكَ الَّذِي أَنْزَلْتَ، وَبِنَبِيِّكَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلْتَ‏.‏ فَإِنَّكَ إِنْ مُتَّ فِي لَيْلَتِكَ مُتَّ عَلَى الْفِطْرَةِ، وَإِنْ أَصْبَحْتَ أَصَبْتَ أَجْرًا ‏"‏‏.‏

• Like 1