IslamicTeachings.org

Deal Justly With Your Children

ummtaalib

“Fear Allah, and deal justly between your children.”

[sahîh al-Bukhârî (2587) and Sahîh Muslim (1623)

Assalamu Alaykum,

Children are an Amanah and it is our duty to raise our children with love and righteous manners. Children with their tender hearts can be molded into righteous people with a positive approach. Children become what they see and hear. It is quite common for parents to become so immersed in this world that they forget the importance of the upbringing of their children. Earning for them is not the only important thing with regards to their upbringing. Raising them with love, care and giving them the attention they require is more important.

Prophet Muhammad never held back his love for the children and always expressed his fondness to them. In one hadith Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated:

I went along with Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) at a time during the day but he did not talk to me and I did not talk to him until he reached the market of Banu Qainuqa`. He came back to the tent of Fatimah and said, “Is the little chap (meaning Al-Hasan) there?” We were under the impression that his mother had detained him in order to bathe him and dress him and garland him with sweet garland. Not much time had passed that he (Al-Hasan) came running until both of them embraced each other, thereupon Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “O Allah, I love him; love him and love one who loves him.” (Muslim)

To be blessed with more than one child is a great bounty from the Almighty and it is our duty to treat them all fairly. Being unfair and showing favoritism between your children can be very dangerous and could be detrimental to their healthy development. Preferential treatment between children can cause sibling rivalry

http://www.muftisays.com/blog/ubuntu/3032_29-09-2012/raising-children.html