IslamicTeachings.org

Revive Forgotten Sunnats

ummtaalib

"Whoever revives an aspect of my Sunnah that is forgotten after my death, he will have a reward equivalent to that of the people who follow him, without it detracting in the least from their reward."

(Tirmidhi 7/443)

I would like to add what i have heard from my murshid, Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat (hafizahullah)

"Our love for the sunnah should be such that we should yearn to perform even those sunnats which we are unable to perform, like remaining hungry for days and having to tie a stone around the stomach. This yearning can be compared with the yearning a diabetic person feels when he sees a tray of delicious cakes and sweet dishes in front of him and he cannot eat them due to his diabetes"

Please add......

• Like 2

Sunnats at the time of Nikah

Not many follow these sunnats in these times of following the non-Muslim ways...so let us revive these Sunnahs insha Allah

*Distributing dates after nikah

*Sending the daughter to the husband's house without clamour or hue rather than the entourage landing on the bride's family expecting lavish entertainment

*The father going to their house (if living locally) and from a basin of water, sprinkling it on the bride and groom and making du'a for them

Details Here

*Giving the daughter certain items which our beloved Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam gave his daughter

"The sovereign of both worlds gave his beloved daughter a silver bracelet, two Yemeni sheets, four mattresses, one blanket, one pillow, one cup, one hand-grinding mill, one bedstead, a small water skin and a leather pitcher."

(Islamic Wedding: by Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eating Dates and Cucumber or Watermelon

Abdullah ibn Jaafar radiyallahu anhu says, “Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam ate Qith’thaa (cucumbers) with dates.”

Commentary
Cucumber has a cold effect and dates have a hot one. By combining the two it becomes mild. From this hadith we gather that it is recommended that the effect (hot or cold) of things eaten should be taken into consideration. Cucumber is insipid and tasteless, and dates are sweet which results in the cucumber also tasting sweet.

Aisha radiyallah anha reports that, “Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam ate watermelon with fresh dates.”

Commentary
In Tirmidhi and other narrations, in explaining this, Sayyidina Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam also said, “The cold effect of one removes the heat of the other, and the heat of one removes the cold effect of the other.”

Shamaa-il Tirmidhi

Use of Kuhl

Ibn 'Abbaas Radiyallahu 'Anhu says:
"Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam said: 'Use kuhl made of ithmid on the eye; it brightens the eyesight, and strengthens and increases the growth of the eye lashes'. (Sayyidina Ibn'Abbaas Radiyallahu'Anhu also used to say) 'Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallarn had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied kuhl in each eye three times every night"'.

Commentary

Ithmid is a special type of kuhl which is reddish black in colour. It is obtained in the Eastern countries. Some of the learned say it is the Isfahaani kuhl, and other say it is the Totiya. Some 'ulama say, it means those who have good eyesight and it should be used by those with whose eyesight it agrees, otherwise a sick person's eyes will pain more by its use. It is more beneficial to apply kuhl at the time of sleeping as it will remain longer in the eyes, and will penetrate more into the pores. There are different narrations on the number of times it should be applied in each eye. In a few it is stated that it should be applied three times in each eye, as mentioned above. In other narrations it is stated that it should be put three times in the right eye and two times in the left eye. It is supposed that the variations are because of the different times of the narrations. At a certain time, Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu alayhi Wasallam applied it in one manner and at another time in the other manner. Haafiz Ibn Hajar, Mulla 'Ali Qaari and other 'ulama have preferred the first method (as given in the hadith under discussion). the first method has been narrated many times from Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu' Alayhi Wasallam, as will be seen in the narration that follow.

Shamaa-il Tirmidhi

Further information

Arabic Kohl

1) It is made of is made of galena mineral.There are a lot of misunderstanding about Arab Kohl or Kohl Ithmid. Ithmid is not Antimony Sulphide as many Muslims thought. It was wrongly translated by the Greeks during the ancient Egyptian Rule. In ancient Egyptian language, galena (lead Sulphide) was called Mestem or Stimmi. The word is identical to Greek word Stim or Stibi or Stibium meaning Antimony.

According to “The Encyclopedia of Islam (Bosworth et al., 1986) and in “Medieval Islamic Civilization – An Encyclopedia (Meri, 2006) Kohl Ithmid was in fact only galena or lead sulphide.

Until today, the kohl found in Middle East, North Africa and Iran are made from lead sulphide or ithmid.

2) When applied on the skin kohl should be difficult to be washed off and does not smudge easily. Kohl should feel like it sticks on the skin firmly.

3) Kohl Ithmid is grey colour.

Surma

1) It contains almost no galena.It is made from herbs, pearl, zinc oxide and other ingredients. . Surma or kajal usually contains almost no ithmid (or lead sulphide). So if you are looking to practice the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad pbuh, kohl ithmid is what you are looking for.

2) Surma feels light on the skin

3) Surma is black colour

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?101938-Kohl-Surma-for-eyes

Complementing a little girl's pretty dress

The Prophet was given some clothes including a black Khamisa. The Prophet said, "To whom shall we give this to wear?" The people kept silent whereupon the Prophet said, "Fetch Um Khalid for me." I (Um Khalid) was brought carried (as I was small girl at that time). The Prophet took the Khamisa in his hands and made me wear it and said, "May you live so long that your dress will wear out and you will mend it many times." On the Khamisa there were some green or pale designs (The Prophet saw these designs) and said, "O Um Khalid! This is Sanah." (Sanah in a Ethiopian word meaning beautiful).
Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 72, Number 713

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting Posture

Qaylah bint Makhramah Radiyallahu 'Anha reports: "I saw Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam in the masjid (in a very humble posture) sitting in a qarfasaa posture. Due to his awe-inspiring personality, I began shivering'.

Commentary

The 'ulama differ in the explanation of the word 'qarfasaa'. The most commonly known is, that while sitting on the ground, to lift both thighs in an upright position, and fold both arms around the legs. It is also termed in the Urdu language as sitting 'Gowt maar ke'.

Shamaa-il Tirmidhi

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning with th Right

Hazrat Aisha (Radiallahu anha) says, " Sayyidina Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) liked to begin with the right while combing his hair; while performing ablution (wudhu) and when putting on his shoes. (Also in every other deed, he first began with the right then the left).

Commentary

This (beginning from the right) is not confined to the three acts mentioned in this Hadith. Sayyidina Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) began everything with the right, that is why every other deed' has been added in the translation of the Hadith. The basic rule is, that all those things that reflect dignity and elegance, while putting on these the right is preferred, and when removing them the left is begun with, as when putting on clothes, shoes etc. When one enters the Masjid, one enters with the right foot and leaves with the left foot first, as this is the place of dignity and greatness. Contrary to this, in those things that do not have elegance in them, for instance when entering the toilet.

Shamaa-il Tirmidhi

It is stated in Ibn Majah that it is sunnah to lift up the dastarkhan after one has finished eating before the diners get up. the dastarkhan should be cleared and then cleaned and then folded and after which the people should get up!!! 

Did not know that. We just all get up and the dastarkhan is usually the last thing to be cleaned. Subhanallah. Allah give us all tawfeeq!!

• 4 months later...

Putting fingers in ears when one hears Music

Hadhrat Naafi' (radhiyallahu anhu) narrates:

"Once when Hadhrat Abdullah Bin Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) heard the sound of a shepherd's flute, he placed his fingers in both ears (to block the sound of the music), and he diverted his mount from that path. (As they rode o­n), he would say: 'O Naafi', can you still hear (the sound)?' I would say: 'Yes.' He would then continue riding. o­nly when I said: 'I can no longer hear it', did he remove his fingers from his ears. Then he returned to the road. He then said: 'I saw Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) doing like this when he had heard the flute of a shepherd." (Ahmad and Abu Dawood)

Source

• 1 year later...

Amount of water used in Wudhu

One should not use an excessive quantity of water. The Prophet saw.gif used no more than a small bowlful of water for Wudhu. In the hadith this has been narrated as one Mudd equal to nearly 775ml/655g.

Once Rasulullah saw.gif passed by one sahabi who was using excessive water during wudhu so he said, “O sa’d! Do not exceed the limit!” he asked, “Are there any limits in wudhu which are exceeded? He replied, “Yes, even if you are on a flowing river.” (Tafseer Raheemi)

The Prophetic Mudd

• 3 years later...

Archery And Horse Riding 

It has been narrated on the authority of Ibn Amir (ra) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say- and he was delivering a sermon from the pulpit: 'Prepare to meet them with as much strength as you can afford. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery. Beware, strength consists in archery.' (Saheeh Muslim, 4711) 

It has been narrated on the authority of Uqba b. Amir (ra) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: 'Lands shall be thrown open to you and Allah will suffice you (against your enemies), but none of you should give up playing with his arrows.' (Saheeh Muslim, 4712) 

It has been reported by 'Abd al-Rahman b. Shamasa (ra) that Fuqaim al-Lakhmi (ra) said to Uqba b. Amir (ra): You frequent between these two targets and you are an old man, so you will be finding it very hard. 'Uqba said: But for a thing I heard from the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him), I would not strain myself. Harith (one of the narrators in the chain of transmitters) said: I asked Ibn Shamasa: What was that? He said that he (the Holy Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said: 'Who learnt archery and then gave it up is not from us. or he has been guilty of disobedience (to Allah's Apostle).' (Saheeh Muslim, 4714)

It has also been narrated that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, "Practice archery; that is good for you." (Reported by al-Bazzar and by al-Tabarani on good authority.) 

The Prophet (peace be on him) once passed by a group of his Companions who were competing in archery. He encouraged them, saying, 'Shoot, and I am with you.' (Reported by al-Bukhari) 

Allah has commanded: 'And make ready for them all thou art able of (armed) force....'(8:60) The Prophet (peace be on him) said, "The missiles (arrows) are the force," repeating it three times. (Reported by Muslim.) 

Allah Ta'ala says, 'And (He created) horses, mules, and donkeys for you to ride and as adornment....' (16:8), and the Prophet (peace be on him) said, "There is blessing in the forelocks of horses." (Reported by Ahmad.) 

He also said, "Practice archery and horseback riding." (Reported by Muslim.) 

And again, 'Any action without the remembrance of Allah is either a diversion or heedlessness excepting four acts: walking from target to target (during archery practice), training a horse, playing with one's family, and learning to swim.' (Reported by al-Tabarani on good authority.) 

Said Hadrat 'Umar (RA), "Teach your children swimming and archery, and tell them to jump on the horse's back." 

The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) also said, 'Horses are of three kinds: the horse of al-Rahman (the Most Merciful, i.e., Allah), the horse of man, and the horse of Satan. As for the horse of the Most Merciful, it is dedicated to jihad in the cause of Allah, so feeding it, cleaning its urine and dung, and everything related to it are counted as good deeds. As for the horse of Satan, it is that on which people bet and gamble. As for the horse of man, it is that which is for breeding, and it is a protection against poverty.' (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)