IslamicTeachings.org

Should I Fast on the White Days or Mondays and Thursdays?

aamifi

ASSALAM ALAYKOM

Should I Fast on the White Days or Mondays and Thursdays?

Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam

Question: Which has more reward, fasting the 13, 14, 15 of each month or Mondays and Thursdays?

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray that you are well, insha’Allah.

It is a recommended sunna to fast on the white days (13th, 14th and 15th of each month) and also a recommended sunna to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. [`Ala al-Din `Abidin, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala’iyya, Shurunbulali, Maraqi al-Falah]

Of the two, it would appear more virtuous to fast on Mondays and Thursdays, because it would entail fasting eight days monthly rather than three.

There is much that has been related regarding each of these sets of fasts.

Fasting the White Days

Abu Hurayra said, “My friend, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ordered me to do three things: to fast three days every month, to do the two cycles (rak`ats) of the mid-morning prayer (duha) and to do the witr before sleeping.” [Agreed upon]

Abu Dharr reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “If you fast three days of the month, then fast the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” [at-Tirmidhi]

Qatada ibn Milhan said, “The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to command us to fast the white days: the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” [Abu Dawud]

Ibn ‘Abbas said, “The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, did not fail to fast the white days either when at home or on a journey.” [an-Nasa’i]

Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays

Abu Qatada reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was asked about fasting Mondays and he said, “That is the day on which I was born and the day when I was sent – or when revelation descended on me.” [Muslim]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Actions are presented on Mondays and Thursdays, so I like my actions to be presented while I am fasting.” [at-Tirmidhi]

`A’isha said, “The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to take care to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.” [at-Tirmidhi]

May Allah bless us with the tawfiq to bring the sunna into our lives, gradually, with a love and yearning for the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace).

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam,

Tabraze Azam

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani